Tuesday, April 6, 2010

What's in a Name?

"What's in a name? 
That which we call a rose, 
By any other name would smell as sweet." ~  Shakespeare.

I've been a tad worried since I created this blog and decided to call it Nettie's Nook.

Firstly it struck me that the word "nook"  meaning a corner or recess is a bit outdated ... archaic even.



But then ... I decided that it was okay, because it conjures up an image of peace, contentment, big comfy armchairs, cosy fireplaces ... that sort of thing. So, hopefully, these lovely, positive images should  entice people to visit, right?




But then ... I got to thinking ... about graffiti ...  someone who was so inclined could add one (or two,depending on his/her spelling ability) certain letters and in a nano-second completely change the meaning and intent of the word.
Oh dear ... I mean ... I don't think that could happen here in the blogosphere ... could it?
And then ... good grief! ... What have I titled my first post? "A Baby is Conceived", for goodness sake!




So embarrassing ... and for days I haven't been able to bring myself back here. I'd have to delete the blog and start again with a different, more suitable name.




But ... I love alliteration ... my other blog is called Nettie's Notes. I also love rhyming words and ... "Contact Nettie's Nook for your next Scrapbook," ... has a nice ring to it.
After a while I began to get over the embarrassment and started to see the humour here.

So ... I've decided throw caution to the wind and stick with Nettie's Nook.

After all what is in a name? 




My sister (who has been saddled with a nickname since the day she was born) loves this quote ... Perfectly nice people get stuck with dreadful nicknames, often for their whole lives...."The Evening Star".....Larry McMurtry



2 comments:

  1. Well see, now I never would have thought about the addition of a couple of letters to the title, I'm so pure of mind! anyway it's catchy and does have a comfy feel about it. Well done and I look forward to lots more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been working in school's too long ...

    ReplyDelete